I Need Another Skein

The True Tale of a Novice Texas Knitter who admits to loving yarn more than she loves knitting...

Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Adventures in Felting

So far in my knitting career (career, 'cause I've brought in so much money with it so far), I've avoided the whole felting craze...

I mean, why knit knit knit knit knit knit knit (and no purls, mind you) on something for days to make this humongo something - just to stick it in the washer and have it shrink into some piece of fabric like you'd use in Sunday School with paper cutouts of Disciples stuck to it.

(Not that the Disciples aren't worth my work, mind you...)

But - when the knitting horde was traipsing around East Texas while on our retreat, I succumbed to the "OH MY GOODNESS - NORO! On SALE!! 30% OFF!!!! MUST BUY!!!" mania that hit the group. (We even called Manda to make sure we had enough skeins...to make the ever popular - if not so "last year" - Booga Bag.)

Did I think I'd actually knit this thing??

No....because A. See above.

And B. I have never ever knit in the round. (I don't count socks because those are done on 2 needles.) I've avoided joining things and "picking up stitches" like - well, like felting.

Until last week - I was stuck out with no socks to knit on, no nekkid yarn to dye (ok, so I was sitting at Starbucks and truth be told, there was probably nekkid yarn, colors AND vinegar in my car - but didn't figure Starbucks would appreciate me using their bathroom and espresso steamers for this purpose) and one of those Noro balls, a size 10.5 circ that I had bought with the express purpose of furthering my supplies to NOT knit this bag...and I actually had the pattern with me.

SO - I began to knit knit knit knit knit knit - and did not purl.

Then I picked up stitches (I guess confidence has been gained in this from my learning to do socks and having to pick up around the gusset) and I knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit some more - alas, still no purling.

We won't even talk about the 500 miles of i-cord for the handle....just 'cause I actually enjoy i-cord. (Should I admit that - considering what the "i" stands for??)

Anyway...I ended up with this:



So - off we go to the washer. Now, the only "zippered" pillowcase I have is one from a throw pillow from the couch. Those pillow cases needed a good washing - so I thought, No problem! I'll use those.

And someone told me that when I felted them that I needed to put a pair of jeans in the wash with the pillowcase...so I grabbed one of the hubby's pair that needed a washing and walked away.

The thing about the pillow cases from the couch - pillow cases that my Armenian Mother-in-law gave us - pillowcases of questionable origin (not that they are stolen - just don't know what country they came from) - pillowcases for which the dye used in the fabric has not necessarily been "set."

The thing about those pillow cases - is that they bleed...And the orange and burgundy pillowcases - they seem to bleed...pink.

So, seriously now...How long do you think I can keep these newly pinkish/lavender jeans from hubby??



Better yet, what kind of things can I accuse him of doing in the jeans to make them that way???

(I figure I can keep this a secret just about as long as I was able to try to deny the fact that my leaving the lights on in the car while I napped this morning was the reason the car wouldn't start when I needed to drive on to work.)

The good news in all of this is - the pillowcases - they bled on the outside - all over his pants.

But my Booga Bag?

The one on the inside of the pillow case?

The one I knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit and did not purl on?

It's so cute!! (And not pinkish a bit - except where it was intended to be!!)



I may felt again...but think I'll buy a white zippered pillow case for future felting adventures...

Maybe I can pick it up when I go shopping for blue jeans....

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,
Thanks for sharing your adventure in felting. I love the way Noro felts. Your bag is very pretty.
Sue (in Arlington)

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Dear, Liz...
What an adventure...
What a learning experience...
Maybe my parents will leave soon so if hubby kicks you out for turning his jeans pink you can stay here. hey, we are used to company. ;^)

11:10 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

You know, maybe if you glue some bling on those jeans you could sell them on ebay!!! :)

The Booga Bag was worth it in my opinion. It really turned out great!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bag - it look great! The jeans - not so great - lol.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Knitting Rose said...

Oh doll I love the bag!! I must knit one now - I must!!
LOVE IT!!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful bag. To prevent this from happening next time, put a dye catcher in the washer with your stuff. Shout makes them and them come in a box like the dryer sheets. You will be amazed at how much dye is on the sheet when you remove it. Just a thought since I think you like felting now. I need to make a bag with Noro yarn the colors are so nice.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag looks great! I too have been reluctant to try felting. Maybe you could try bleaching his jeans... what's the worst that could happen? :)

Your secret pal

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home