I Need Another Skein

The True Tale of a Novice Texas Knitter who admits to loving yarn more than she loves knitting...

Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Reskeining

We've had a discussion in one of my groups about whether or not a hand-dyed yarn should be reskeined - and if it did the yarn any "good."

This past weekend, I reskeined some of my yarns that I've dyed recently and I can give a resounding YES - it does the yarn GOOD!

Before:



And After:


I love the way it looks reskeined - gives me more of an idea of how the colors really work - or don't work - together and how they will look when they are knit up.

But the yarn that pushed me over to the "It MUST be reskeined" school of thought was this ugly mess that I dyed for my friend Lise at our retreat. (To be fair, Lise never thought that it was ugly - only I did.)

But it turned into this when reskeined...





Go read her blog for more reskeining and dyeing fun!

This is the other skein I dyed this weekend - I'm liking it more and more - and hoping that it will reskein as something I really like - if not - it's back to the dye bath. It's a different fiber - not superwash. It's 50/50 Merino and Silk - and this fiber just seems to mute the colors more than the superwash does. I'm liking it more and more - just because it produces something "different."




And lest you think I'm only dyeing - I'm also knitting...I'm still working on the Socks using the other yarn I dyed and My So Called Scarf. I'd like to finish it before the end of March - but don't know that I will.

I did finish a bunny for my new Goddaughter, Dot.


I hope it's something she will be able to carry around for years - knowing that I made it especially for her.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are really on to something with the silk blend. I really like that. Is it laceweight or fingering? Hard to tell but it looks like it would look really nice in a shawl.

The teal one that we did at Simpatico is gorgeous! Yep, defintely good on reskeining that one. What did you name it?

2:10 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Lovin' that bunny! So girly and fun.

And you know I'm all over your dying. :)

6:45 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

OOPS....that's DYEING! Sheesh...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Great colors!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Knitting Rose said...

Oh I LOVE the Muted skein!! If you don't like how it re-skeins - I will trade you for it. It is LOVELY!! just lovely.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Reskeining never occured to me! That is amazing for my simple little brain.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love all the yarn! Great colours.

Your Secret Pal

11:38 AM  
Blogger Knitting in Pink said...

I love love that pink and green yarn! Is it sock yarn? Lace yarn? Please tell us more!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Liz G. said...

The Pink and Green is laceweight - or fingering. I just know that there was about 1200-1400 yards in that big ol' skein.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home