I Need Another Skein

The True Tale of a Novice Texas Knitter who admits to loving yarn more than she loves knitting...

Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm Going to IRELAND!!

Ok...so it's a "virtual" trip - but it's so very cool!!

My local Knitters group is having a July Vacation Secret Pal Swap - where we send our Spoilee on a trip somewhere.

Today, my "Travel Agent," Blogless Janet, called to say she was going to drop by - and she showed up on my door with not only my travel documents, but also my suitcase.



My Itinerary included stops in Dublin and Belfast, Cork and Doolin, Wesport and Derry with a stop in the Aran Isles where I can learn more and more about Aran patterning. (My agent knows I'm a Cable Ho.)

I opened my suitcase to see what souvenirs I was coming home with and - true to my packing style - that case was STUFFED!



I got so many wonderful things...



I got a few patterns - Aran Braided Socks, a Celtic Cable Scarf, and a Celtic Knot Afghan. As all good travel agents do, Janet knows her "customer" and has read the blog and knows that I'm toying with doing sweaters...so she also got me a wonderful book - "Aran Sweater Design" by Janet Szabo - that looks incredible - not only telling about Aran design, but outlines the anatomy of sweater-making (how to put them together in various ways) and also has a few lovely patterns.

I also got Kraemer Yarns in Eileen - which I've been eyeing at White Rock Weaving, but hadn't tried yet - and Knit Picks Bare Donegal Tweed - another that I've been wanting to play with. Of course, they are all nekkid - so I can also play with the Jacquard Dyes she got me - in Turquoise, Hot Fuchsia and Lilac (PRETTY!). There were some Cable needles, point protectors and a cute little sheep tape measure!

Also, my travel agent knows that I'm trying to learn how to read charts - which will definitely come in handy when I get up the courage to do these cabled sweaters - and she got me the Knit Picks chart keeper and a needle sizer!

On the goodie front - 'cause what's a vacation without goodies - I got some Irish Breakfast Tea, a couple of mixes for Scones and Soda Bread, some Ghirardelli dark chocolate and some Lily O'Brien's (of course) Chocolate Coated Toffees. yum!

And last, but not least, I got some lovely stitch markers that she made:

*

Thanks, Janet!! You are a FABULOUS "travel agent" - and I'd recommend you to ANYONE!

*(yes, my cedar chest is scratched...it's old, like me.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you enjoyed your vacation!you will be receiving a survey from Zagats soon to assign a star rating LOL! Your ttravel agent, Janet

8:47 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Wow, very nice. Everything is so great. I love the suitcase.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Manda said...

fun!!!!

i awarded you something! check out the end of this blog post for details :D

10:58 AM  
Blogger Tasha said...

What a great swap present! That's what I'm talking about....

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home