I Need Another Skein

The True Tale of a Novice Texas Knitter who admits to loving yarn more than she loves knitting...

Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Monday, February 05, 2007

The One You Never Thought Would Be an FO...

A long time ago (July 2006) in a far away land (ok, in my living room), I started a baby blanket for a friend who was adopting a little girl from Guatemala.

We knew the journey to getting Angelena home would be a long one - but I never realized all that I would go through to get the blankie done.

Ellie had seen a picture of a blankie on my desk and said, "That's what I want!" So I started it out - in her colors.

I cast on way too many stitches - and it was obvious that it was going to be huge from the get-go...but I thought "Oh, this won't take much time - after all, it's practically all garter stitch with a few K2tog's thrown in for good measure."

Anyone ever tell you that garter stitch is boring??? If not, let me enlighten you...

But I trudged on...knitting away. And then, tragedy struck. I was on vacation in Branson and we were sitting in the cabin and all of a sudden a dirt dobber came into the room. I am deathly afraid of flying wasp-like creatures and my hero of a hubby went to kill it.

Well, he tried. What he did was swat it towards me and the only thing that would save me was this blankie - which went flying into the air - and off of the needles...looking something like this in the aftermath...



But, I trudged on...got it back on the needles and started again - here and there.

Angelena came home to the States in October and I still had more rows than sense to finish this thing...so it went into that bag...

You know THAT bag - the one where projects go to die...where they go never to be seen again?

But, lately, I've felt that call - the plaintive whine of the UFO in THAT bag...and a challenge from one of my knitters groups to get THAT project out and, taking 15 minutes a night, finish it in February - made me get it out...

And you know what? I discovered that I had so little to go on it...I did more than my fifteen minutes a night - and last night - during the waning moments of the Super Bowl - I was able to Bind off - leaving only five gajillion ends to weave in -

But I did that tonight...and Ta Da!!! It is done - off the needles - and soon, will be off to warm up Angelena...which, when she moves to California, hopefully, she and her mama will know that Auntie Liz in Texas does love her...





For Size Reference - Sabine (a half pug and half miniature schnauzer who has been recently bathed but is in need of a major hair cut) did the honors of standing near the blankie so all can see the monstrosity that it is...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that is just so beautiful. I am so happy to see you finished it!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Tasha said...

Beautimous! And can I just say that little Angelena is adorable?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Knitting Rose said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Maybe I will pull my blanket out and finish it too! I really LOVE the colors. I cannot believe you finished that WHOLE thing!
Great job

8:27 PM  
Blogger Julie in Texas said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love bright colors. She is a very blessed little girl.

My friend is expecting a baby and I am determined to have her blanket done before the baby is here (February 20). I was not so lucky on color choice. The whole thing is soft baby pink feather and fan...it is getting VERY boring!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home